There are some students at Dartmouth who are completely wack, y'all.
According to that sourcelink, a bunch of students who refer to themselves as "Concerned Asian, Black, Latin@, Native, Undocumented, Queer, and Differently-Abled students" wrote a letter to administrators at Dartmouth to threaten "physical action" if the administrators do not respond to their list of demands.
What do these weirdos want? I'll tell you. They want to "eradicate systems of oppression as they affect marginalized communities on the campus." The systems include "racism, classism, sexism, heterosexism, and ableism" and they are "forms of insitutional violence."
And when do they want it? NOW.
And how do they want it? Oh, that's where it gets really good. For starters, they want to see a "redistributing" of power and resources in a way that is "radically equitable."
Not just equitable, mind you, but RADICALLY equitable. They're mad, you see, because they think "Dartmouth epitomizes power being isolated to rich, white males" so they are demanding that Dartmouth create "its own Freedom Budget to transform itself into a safe, inclusive, and supportive environment for us all."
Freedom Budget? What's that, you might ask? Well, here's a little taste. And for the full text of the letter, be sure to click on the sourcelink provided in the opening sentence of this post:
1. Outreach to undocumented students, to include a guide explaining financial aid and the admissions application process.
2. Incorporate into each department at LEAST one queer studies class.
3. Create a class that discusses the history of undocumented immigrants to the US and "illuminates" the undocumented immigrant experience.
4. Increase the interdisciplinary academic focus on sexualities, and require that all students examine issues of social justice, marginalization and exploitation in depth.
5. Commit multi-millions of dollars to increase faculty and staff of color in all departments, and create a "professor of color" lecture series.
6. Require ALL professors to be trained in "cultural competency" and the "importance of social justice in their day to day work." Require all faculty to be trained in sensitivity in order to reduce incidents of racism, sexism, heterosexism, classism, and ableism.
7. Increase the budget SIGNIFICANTLY of the Black Caucus.
8. Increase wage and healthcare benefits and lower co-pays. Provide full transgender health coverage for all employees.
9. Ask faculty to use preferred gender pronouns. Allow body and gender self-determination.
10. Provide gender-neutral housing to all students. Provide gender-specific AND gender-neutral bathrooms in EVERY BUILDING on campus.
11. Ban the Indian mascot.
12. Examine the ways Greek life adversely affects "womyn, people of color and low-income students."
13. Release a statement of recognition on the existence of undocumented students at Dartmouth and support for their community.
14. Provide free legal assistance and financial aid for undocumented students to "better understand each of their unique legal statuses."
15. Require that every Dartmouth student be taught and made aware that the land they reside on is Abenaki homeland.
16. All male-female checkboxes should be replaced with write-in boxes to make forms, surveys, and applications more inclusive for trans, two-spirit, agender, gender-nonconforming and genderqueer folks campus-wide.
Lastly, the letter stated that all demands be responded to publicly by the Dartmouth administration by March 24, 2014 along with a list of commitments to each demand, a timetable, and list of point people. And if the Dartmouth administration fails to comply, then, the letter states, "those who believe in freedom will be forced to physical action."
I don't know about you all, but that sounds like a threat which Dartmouth administrators, if they have ANY SENSE, will take to authorities and be prepared for on the date that these lunatics are demanding a response by.
By the way, the lunatics "invite responses, engagement, and questions to firstname.lastname@example.org." Feel free to drop them a line and let them know that they are FREAKING LUNATICS.